What is Solar Energy, How Can We Benefit?
What is Solar Energy?
The definition of solar energy is that it is the power that is harnessed by capturing the light and heat produced by the sun. This energy is harnessed by using a variety of different devices and kinds of technology to capture and store this energy, to then be used within our homes or offices to power devices and other items that require energy and electricity to work. With the correct devices and technology, the amount of energy that the world needs to produce can be taken care of by using solar power, considering that this power source is abundant and produced in excess. Solar energy is a renewable resource, and the capturing, storing and use of this energy is far better for the environment. Non-renewable resources, like power created through the burning of fossil fuels, is extremely bad for the environment and has detrimental effects that lead to increased heating of the earth’s surface. Converting our homes and offices from using non-renewable power sources to using solar energy sources is a great way to ensure a more sustainable future!
How Can Solar Energy Be Used?
When solar energy is harnessed, it can be used in exactly the same way as any other electrical source. Once the panels are up and running, generating power through the capturing and storing of sunlight, this energy is then generated into electricity! Solar energy can be used for many different things, from powering up our homes to heating up our pools! Once the energy is stored and produced into electricity, as long as it is connected to our homes and designed to supply electricity, anything can be done with it. There are therefore many uses of solar energy and ways that this harnessed energy can be utilised.
What are the Advantages of Solar Energy?
There are many benefits of solar energy, and the clean production of power from this source is a great way for power production to lean in a cleaner and more sustainable direction. the following are just a few of the main advantages of using solar energy!
- It is a renewable source of energy: The sun is never going to run out, no matter how much electricity we store and convert into electricity, we can be sure that there is always going to be a supply of this power source. This is what renewable refers to and using renewable resources is the only way that we can be certain that future generations will be able to harness and use the same energy supply as we do today. non-renewable resources are going to eventually run out, leaving entire towns, cities and even countries without a supply of electricity. This is why it is becoming so important to start changing the sources we use to generate power now before time runs out and our energy supply is depleted.
- No harmful gasses are produced in the capturing, storing and production of this energy: The environmental impact of solar energy is minimal, as the capturing, storing and production of energy is all done through converting cells into powered energy. With no output generated, no harmful gasses are released into the atmosphere! This is incredibly beneficial as the releasing of harmful gasses, like Carbon Dioxide, into the atmosphere causes strain on the environment and progresses global warming at alarming rates.
- Low operating costs: Once a solar panel device is up and running, it is generally very inexpensive to keep this piece of technology going. With just a few standard maintenance checkups, this kind of power egernating tool will last for years!
Are there any disadvantages of using solar energy?
Though there are many advantages, as with any power source, there are both pros and cons of solar energy. The following are a few of the biggest disadvantages of using solar energy sources to power our towns and cities.
- Building costs are expensive: While operating the machinery and keeping them powered costs very little, one of the main disadvantages of using solar energy is that it is expensive to build the machinery. Due to the fact that solar panels are complex devices, and the production of them is expensive, it is often not within many peoples price range to purchase enough devices to power an entire house. Many do however purchase a few to offset the cost, and use other sources of power along with solar energy!
- The solar panels have to go somewhere: When powering cities and towns, land has to be used to store these panels. They need as much sunlight as possible and vegetation, therefore, needs to be removed to make the most of the devices. Many people chose to place these panels on their roofs, and this does help to offset this disadvantage, as no vegetation or land has been used!
the facts about solar energy and their general expense mean that not many people currently used this technology. There are however developments being made every day to attempt to reduce costs and make this supply of energy something that many more people can use. The future of solar energy and the importance of it should not be overlooked and creating these devices and then using them to power our homes, offices, towns and cities is extremely important if we are going to implement renewable and stable resources in energy production.